Sunday 8 December 2013

The Incredible Hulk

Hello again! I thought this week I would blog as much as I can because I'm sure I wont blog much during Christmas and today is based on the Incredible hulk which stars Edward Norton as Bruce Banner, Tim Roth as Emil Blonsky AKA Abomination and William Hurt as Thunderbolt Ross. This was released in 2008 and I remember seeing it for my birthday, after that I was mad about hulk and I was hoping for a sequel but... nothing came, anyway enjoy!


I'm not really sure whether to consider this a sequel to Ang Lee's Hulk in 2003 because I believe that Ang Lee end's his in Spain which is where the Incredible Hulk picks up from so I'm not actually sure but anyway Bruce has been hiding and living a semi-normal life with a job whilst desperately trying to find a cure to destroy the inner beast, eventually Thunderbolt Ross catches up with him unleashing his new secret weapon, Emil Blonsky who soon becomes obsessed with power. After eventually confronting Betty it turns out that the Hulk is not the only monster roaming the street thanks to Mr Blue, Bruce must overcome his rage to fight the Abomination, an overpowering brute with the potential of beating Bruce and the people he loves.

Honestly this is one of my all time favourite marvel films because its the first good interpretation, the TV series with Lou was great for that time but Ang Lee's Hulk just wasn't very good personally and I think there were a lot of nervous fans when news hit that a new hulk film was coming out, back then I was 11 so I didn't care all I saw from the trailer was the hulk destroying stuff and I was hooked but whenever it's on TV I will watch it because its awesome although ITV decide to take out the "violent" bits which is so frustrating. The first thing I noticed about this film is the cast its brilliant! Norton, Roth, Tyler and Hurt, I actually like all of them mainly because Norton's just generally awesome, Tim was in a show called Lie to me which was strange but very interesting and I get emotional every time Liv Tyler says goodbye to Bruce Willis in Armageddon, so for me that film sticks out compared to some of the other marvel films. probably my favourite thing about the film is the unique take on the Hulk, visually he is stunning, the hair movies realistically, his muscles are nice and detailed and overall a masterpiece, the only thing that bothered was his size he just wasn't big enough  however I think this helped emphasize the new new look they were going for, a less resilient hulk which I thought was a nice touch it made it seem more real and made Hulk more vulnerable but I wanted him to be bigger. Personally compared to the Avengers I prefer this Hulk because he's a lot more dirtier in this and vulnerable especially when he is facing the abomination, don't get me wrong I love the Avengers hulk because he's super strong and is generally awesome but I didn't feel the same way and I'm thinking that because Ruffalo hasn't had his own film yet which would explore the character more in-depth and hopefully giving him ALOT more screen time, I dunno how to explain it, this Hulk is just amazing!

I have 2 favourite scenes in this film and both are just awesome, full of awesomeness!
1) Library fight
This scene shows Bruce being chased by the military before transforming into the rage monster, he beats a lot of the military and faces a more enhanced version of Emil who leads his to these sonic cans which slow the hulk down, but this is where it gets awesome previously the hulk grabbed some scrapped metal to use as a shield and he uses them to block the sonic blasts and then throw one to slice a car in 2, its fantastic and like I always say the music helps! this score is composed by Craig Armstrong who managed to create a very sinister piece of music and just darken the whole mood of the film.
2) Abomination fight!
so this fight involves Banner falling out of a plane hoping to transform even though his ability was "cured" but a green fist emerges from the ground and so the fight commences with hulk using a police car as boxing gloves... Awesome! The best bit about this fight is the amazing moment when abomination is winning the fight, he stabs hulk in the chest and Hulks eyes glow green and he suddenly breaks free from the beasts grasp, this is clearly the version of the Hulk in which the angrier he gets the stronger he becomes which worked brilliantly for me and has easily become one of my top marvel moments... Which sounds like a great idea for a post hmmm
For me, this film is great because of its dark nature which is different compared to the funnier side of marvel films such as Iron man so that kinda adds to the meaning of the film and the suffering of the character, i just don't think comedy would have worked well because compared to the other marvel heroes i would say that he struggles the most and that effect would have deteriorated if Bruce tried to pull a pun or a quick joke.

overall i would give the Hulk an 8 because its a film that shows a character with a weak film history can come back kicking. It has some immense action scenes that kept my eyes glued to the screen and best of all the interpretation of the hulk was amazing and to top it all off with a cherry on top we had the wonderful Edward Norton.
I doubt he will be back for a sequel but apparently Roth has signed a contract as well as Mr blue who soon becomes the leader, id like to hope that we get a sequel after avengers 2, its about time we saw hulk in his own film!!
anyway that's enough for today, i hope you enjoyed :)
until next time

just think... Christmas is soon!!!!!
i have a nice gremlins review lined up next which will be fun to write :)

No comments:

Post a Comment