Friday 29 November 2013

Favourite DC superheroes

well this is the second part of the "superhero" post and it's all based on the world of DC. In recent years both comics and films have taken an unlikely turn becoming both very dark and mysterious for example the Batman who was once a very bad fighter (POW) and who once used a gun to fight crime but now look at him, he has an awesome costume and is at the peak of hand to hand combat and physical health, he's gone through a very big change and ever since the Dark Knight the DC world has become more about the in-depth story.

lets start off with the cape crusader himself, Batman
I have been a big fan of batman ever since the dark knight came out and when I read my first graphic novel, ever since then I've collected books, props and the brilliant Arkham games.
I think what is so unique about this character is that he is mortal, he's not from krypton with enhanced cells he's a normal guy with a past consumed by guilt and anger.
Bruce Wayne was a young boy when his parents were murdered, since then he has grown to hate the world for its injustice and at an early age he began to train himself physically and mentally so that he could understand the way of a criminal and how to rid his city of this evil that corrupted Gotham. Bruce was trained by Henri Ducard and Kirigi who taught him the way of the ninja.
When he returned he set out to rid the city of criminals but something was missing, a way to conceal his identity and so the Batman was born.
In my opinion he is the best DC character of all time because he has such a dark past which is tragic but its the way he overcomes it, he doesnt let it consume him instead he sets himself a powerful goal to end the war against crime and he can only do that as a symbol, to strike fear into the hearts of his enemies he used a bat to share his dread. The bat has become a very powerful and meaningful symbol that stands out against other symbols in the DC world because it means something, its not just a bat its his story, his past and his pain and there's something brilliant behind that.
Not only is his costume super cool in the dark knight trilogy (im sorry but nipples?? really) and in other interpretations but its amazing watching him fight in the films because you can tell that he is not superhuman, he's just very good at fighting and I think thats why Batman's popularity has grown because Nolan has created a powerful character that can and does get hurt whereas in the games he is SO overpowered which is brilliant but the films display a more powerful message because the Batman could not single handedly take out 10 guys... well he could but it would be a tiny bit of a challenge. What I always thought would be difficult in a comic is to show extreme fighting but they do it really well especially in the newer comics because the art has evolved and the ideas have become more complex. I think honestly my favourite part about the character has got to be his origin story because its a very meaningful story thats very sad to be honest and the films and comics have really emphasized his suffering and thats what Batman has become, its not about the actions its about his mental battle with himself and the villains who want to hurt him mentally, a lot of his villains cannot actually hurt him much unless they had an army. But I think my appreciation for the character has escalated due to the release of the trilogy I mean they are just amazing films definitely one of the best adaptations of a comic book hero especially after the more cheesy versions with the Bat-credit card and Robin using all his skills to... put his clothes away?
anyway I could talk about the dark knight for bloody years but I need to move on to the other 2, i decided to do 3 instead of 5.

Green arrow (CW ARROW)

I have always been a fan of bow and arrows I don't know what it is but there very cool and everyone who seems to use one can use it well... unlike me.
Before Arrow I thought green arrow was meh, i thought he was cool but it was his Robin hood look that kind killed it for me, don't get me wrong it was cool but I wasn't the biggest fan and that's where Arrow comes in.
before I talk about Arrow I've talked a lot about on screen adaptations and I just want to point out that I have read many comics and I am a comic book fan I just love seeing how things are brought to life and Arrow is a great example of how they took a very different character and evolved him to fit in with the real world. I have watched Arrow since the beginning and it has educated me a lot about the archer and his life changing experience which may not be correct in the comics but neither was Batman and what I have been impressed about especially in season 1 is the intense action that was displayed in almost every episode and the choreography is just outstanding, I applaud Stephen Amell for creating a new Green Arrow, interestingly though he isn't called Green arrow... yet.
so why do I like the green arrow and why has the new show ARROW impacted my choice.
well first of all he can use a Bow and arrow amazingly and there's something really cool about his weapon, in arrow his skill are unbelievable maybe a bit unrealistic but it works brilliantly, in my opinion he is a lot better than Hawkeye because at the moment we haven't really seen Hawkeye at his best so hopefully his time will come. What Arrow does that separates it from programs like Shield is that the action is intense and the CGI is amazing, the humour is great and there are some amazing characters like Felicity and Malcolm Merlyn who becomes the Dark Archer... The vigilante's superior adversary.
The thing I found most surprising about the show is that its set in Canada so I initially thought the scale of it would be smaller and the actors not as good which was wrong of me to judge at first but they are all amazing especially Amell who plays Oliver Queen he's massive and very blunt which really suits the character because a lot of his charisma and enthusiasm dissolved on the island and I think the show would have lost a lot of its meaning because the character has suffered and whats the point if he comes back cheery and "unchanged" so I think again it goes down to the in-depth story about his past which is explored in every episode and each week its shock after shock and the action scenes just get better. As you can tell I love this TV series and it's given me an insight to a character I knew little about so now I can read the comics to find out more about the original but I expect they aren't that different.

finally I present to you.... AQUAMAN
Hahaha just kidding, it's SUPERMAN!!!!

  first of all... he is just awesome!!! his powers are amazing. he has heat ray vision, super strength, super speed, ice breath, the ability to see through stuff apart from lead(?) and he can fly, I'm pretty sure there are a few more did I mention he is indestructible against most things apart from Krypronite which is superman's only weakness as it drains his powers.
On Krypton hours after his birth his Father Jor-El sent him to earth moments before the destruction of Krypton, Kal-El landed in a farm where he was adopted by Jonathan and Martha Kent.
The thing I like most about Superman is that he makes a great character in comics, some of the art is amazing especially when he fights Doomsday or Zod because lets just say it won't be a clean fight and what I've seen recently is a rapid development of new costumes; you have Man of Steel and the Injustice costume, both are really cool and they both have got rid of his underpants (overpants?) and its about time I think.
I know quite a few people including my brother never liked superman (before MOS) and here's why
he's too good
and my brothers right he is but that's the point of superman he is this symbol of hope that he can withstand anything, bullets, disease and fire in a way he might be what people dream of being, honestly I do I would love to be able to fly round and be an all powerful being, but what's special about Superman is that he does have a weakness and its as simple as a green rock.
Again relating to this idea of a dark past which isn't the focus in a lot of the superman comics or films and that's because there's no need whereas Batman who lives a life of pain needs that reminder that his parents are dead and I think what's important about Superman is that he lives an ordinary life, he has a job, a house and he makes mistakes which we can all relate to, he could just live in his fortress of solitude for free but he enjoys the aspects of life like rent and normality whereas Batman doesn't so much, even as an alien Clark Kent is a stereotypical working man... with a twist. Onto his awesomeness, Man of steel so far has been the only film to show off his immense strength, the originals did it but they weren't very good at it which wasn't their fault because they lacked the technology, the comics have also been very good at it but I think its better to visually see it in motion and what they did which was brilliant was explore all his powers in a unique way, his x-ray vision looked great and he struggled with it at first and his heat ray was very interesting because it literally looked like he was shooting fire from his eyes and even after years of adapting it still hurt him.
Yes he is an overpowered being but we needed it because its always nice having a godly figure in the superhero universe that we look up to as the best of the best, I personally think Superman was created to inspire us to be the best that we can, to be good people; we don't need super powers to do it although it would definitely help.
I can't really think of much more to say other than he is awesome, I do prefer Batman though best batman can beat up criminals whereas Superman has to be careful, in case he kills someone but its amazing watching him fight another super who can take a punch, one thing i learnt is never piss of Superman or he'll go up to the sun and get super angry
that's just amazing!
comic book art has definitely got better over the years and I think its help a lot of superheroes that sucked, aquaman for example... not the greatest superhero but his comics are pretty cool sometimes.








well that's all for today, I'm very tempted to do a villain edition
Until next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment