Saturday 23 November 2013

I am back! fears and Horror films

I am back! that didn't take too long did it, today instead of a review I thought I would talk about something that came up in conversation a few days ago.
I am not a fan of Horror films however I haven't really watched one but I know that I won't enjoy it because I am easily scared and I just don't find it fun unless you were with friends who made it more enjoyable but I think deep down I would still be petrified and... I love sleeping I really do and I think a horror would damage that ability to sleep and trigger a domino effect of anger, tiredness and annoyance... you wouldn't like me when I'm tired but luckily that doesn't happen that much and I find ways to make me energetic or more happy.
But today I wanted to talk about what makes a Horror film scary mainly because I thought it would be fun and it would educate me, I'm not completely clueless about Horrors but I don't know much.
The thing I've noticed about Horror films in recent years is that children seem to be involved whether they are possessed by Satan or just messed up but for some odd reason they are scarier than a middle aged man and its weird to think that so many of us could be afraid of children but I think it comes down to the psychological and stereotypical way in which we view children especially the younger kids, their cute, harmless and strange beings who still can't figure out where a fart comes from or why there is so much joy in bouncing up and down continuously so I think its the way we imagine kids and how they are in reality but when you go see a Horror film suddenly these cute children have become red eyed demons who like to carry around a doll, truly evil and I'm not on about that little kid that won't stop crying on the bus I'm talking about kids that are going to kill you. Would this be more effective against parents? a mum and dad go see a Horror film in which a young infant terrorizes and haunts the couple, would this traumatize them? to me it sounds pretty freaky but what would parents think... would they go home and sleep with the lights on or never sleep? maybe a bit extreme but mentally would it make a more damaging effect like paranoia. I've come to terms that I am a strange teenager and when I watched a film such as... 2012 that got me worried, could the world end in 2012 and the fact they made it in 2009 didn't help; I had to wait ages! but what I'm saying is that the film imprinted this "what if" question in my mind.
What if it does?
What if I survive
What if...
is that how parents react but then again this could apply to the kids with young siblings. Something else I have also noticed again going back to the whole children idea is that the dress sense can effect the fear factor, I didn't have to watch any to figure this out but you could agree or disagree but think about it this way... would you be frightened of a child who came up to you in Umbro tracksuit and a plain white t-shirt, I don't think so! but lets take this child and give him Victorian styled clothing or a nightdress for girls, I don't know what it is but it seems creepier already and I think its to do with how our mind pictures it. In a picture somewhere on the internet there is a window and a child with Victorian styled clothing and it scared the shit out of me because it left that god awful question, what if and to be honest child ghosts seem more scarier because their children and their dead, its not something that is highly liked but it has become very effective, like in CSI not a lot of bodies are children so have we overcome this fear of men because they are used so often, would you be afraid of Jim who wore casual clothing? I doubt it.

I did some research on Horror films staring animals and I didn't find many only the ones that would scare me because they all seem to follow the same track, spiders, sharks and grouped animals like wolves. Although they may not be considered Horrors but it all depends on whether you fear these animals for instance Alfred Hitchock's The birds did not scare me because its dated and I have no fear of birds but if I were to watch a film that featured spiders I would be out the room in seconds because I have Arachnophobia however its not severe (thank god!)
now, lets take a shark film again I would watch it because I don't have a fear of sharks I love them but... I would not swim with them. My friend has Galeophobia which I believe is the fear of sharks so instantly any Shark film even Shark tale has become a terrifying movie experience because of that fear and another popular one that seems to brew within a few of my old friends is this fear of a wolf pack or a wolf and I would presume that this included werewolves and again I only find some of the scary because of how they are portrayed and how good the quality is and I think some people have this fear of being hunted so to them I say avoid "the grey"
I don't think animals make brilliant horror films that were designed to be a horror but if you have a fear of something wouldn't that class any film staring the animal you dread a horror because you are scared and it has become a struggle to watch, its difficult to endure but you continue because you like the thrill of a Horror. another example and a bit of a weird one... people afraid of bats would they class Batman as a horror, maybe I'm overcomplicating things but can you see where I'm coming from?

Like I said at the start, I haven't watched a Horror but I'm sure I will eventually but I think its because I am scared of a lot of things, Spiders, scary children..., and exorcisms, they just creep me out so much so when I saw the trailer for devil inside me I was generally put off for the rest of the film and night, thank you Vue cinema for scaring me. just a quick thing before I leave you... would you consider the human centipede a horror? or Just a disgusting, gory mess of weirdness... did it scare you or disturb you? I don't think I will ever watch it... in this life time... or the next!
Wow I didn't realise how long post was... oops well I hope you enjoyed it if you read all of it. This isn't based on fact but more so on the opinion of a very inexperienced Horror film watcher who wanted to expand on his thoughts about what scared him and what he thinks would be scary in a film, I don't know if Victorian children are scary they just appear it and I will avoid them.
thanks for reading!
until next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment