Monday 3 February 2014

Transformers: Age of Extinction


Good morning! last night I was up until 1:00 waiting for the Transformers SuperBowl trailer and I must have watched it 8 times before falling asleep, today I thought I would do a trailer breakdown with my views and some ideas that others have expressed.

First thing I would like to say and though it didn't surprise me is that there is a lot of negativity towards a film that hasn't come out... do you know if it will be good, have you seen it yet despite it being released in July? no?!?! then how do you know, please sit down.
It annoys me that people are judging already, this is the first INCOMPLETE trailer, the film is not yet finished. From watching this trailer I can see a definite improvement in the issues surrounding the previous 3:
A better human cast- Mark Wahlberg!
A more natural human story- Father, Daughter and boyfriend

And if Michael Bay sticks to his work this one should ditch the whole "comedy" that was reasonably funny but unnecessary so at the moment its looking good. What else annoys me is the hate that Michael Bay gets from picky fans, give the guy a break he's just taken a huge franchise and turned them into 3 clearly successful films... you do it, as well as that he's being blamed for the TMNT film which he is not directing? explain that one for me, if anyone should get the blame its the director but how can you blame him for something you haven't seen?

As you can probably tell I'm a transformer fan however I do understand the opinions of 'die-hard' transformer fans I just think you should take it easy, breathe a little. There are some things in the trilogy that don't really make sense, things that don't represent certain characters but I can name and identify them just fine, what trouble is there? the yellow one is Bumblebee the red and blue one is Optimus Prime- Simple. Apart from the awesome action I am a big fan of the character designs (which people criticise) instead of them looking like blocks they look real, their accurate incarnations of a car. The designers thought very carefully about certain pieces and their work amazes me and with the new character designs in the upcoming film I think they look great, change is good and I can still tell who is who.
So lets start!


Well this is the opening and it shows a large ship of some sort which I believe could possibly be Unicron and the Decepticon strutting could possibly be Cyclonus who was confirmed as one of the villains, I think a lot of the trailer shows the same scene in which a fight commences between Optimus and this unknown Decepticon. The ship itself is very cool and I stand by what I say I believe this is Unicron, although Unicron is planet size I just don't think a transformer that big would work, I'm primarily focusing on the sphere shape in the centre which reminds me a lot of Unicrons form. Its plausible but who knows!


This is our first good look of Optimus Prime without his mouth plate, the new design looks great he has more of a thinner warrior looking figure which is great for the franchise and great for the fans as we are given something new. A lot pointed out that the CGI looks kinda sloppy, I may be wrong but the film is still in production, the CGI will improve because its not finished yet but I personally think its looks alright, any improvements would look fantastic though! I like both versions of Optimus Prime, I'm not going to pick a favourite just yet until I see a good shot of his body but I do really like the new facial design, They scrapped the nose and made him look quite... ancient in a way.


This next one is tricky to interpret, a lot of people believe its Galvatron but I think its Cyclonus from the first shot, I think this because it doesn't look like Galvatron and 1 giant gun on his face kinda makes sense for Cyclonus- like a Cyclops or something. I just don't feel that he looks a lot like Galvatron if he is set to return which looks likely if Unicron is in the film which again is just an educated guess and favoured opinion.


God damn it Optimus! This looks like Optimus being shot by the face gun which from this image looks extremely powerful, is this the end of the leader... probably not, will he die... unlikely considering this is the first in a new trilogy. Despite being beaten up Optimus is going to kick some serious ass, and you'll know why if you watch the trailer!


Not much to say on this one, I don't know who that is, the hole in his chest intrigues me but he cuts a car in half with his knee so that's awesome. I'm not sure which Decepticons are in this film so we may be in for a few surprises.


Ah, this has become a lot clearer now compared to a tiny Ipod screen, This looks a lot like Optimus being held captive in a Decepticon ship due to its familiar structure and interior, The Decepticon to the left looks pretty big but that may be my perspective. I'm hoping that the Autobots come to the rescue! what they are doing to Optimus is not clear, I think he could be taken to the new leader perhaps or tortured- I'd like to think something about Nemesis Prime to be involved. Prime vs Prime would be awesome


My god!! it has a coat!!! This is awesome. Again not really sure who this is but I do know that this is the Autobot that transforms into a C7 Corvette Stingray, he is clearly kicking ass and it appears that the Decepticon ships decided to stay around after Dark of the Moon.


This is interesting, there are quite a few theories to this but I'm going to stick to mine. This is clearly Bumblebee who looks the same but I know that there are differences included 2 vehicle modes. Theories suggest that the "dragon" is a Predacon, I think its swoop. It makes total sense that swoop is with Grimlock but I'm unsure why it has 2 heads... although it looks freaking awesome! I'm confident that it is an Autobot because it looks as though Bumblebee is going to ride it which is beautiful, flying into battle on a dinosaur is the way to go. One question that is remained unclear is how the Dinobots come about, in Fall of Cybertron they are created by Shockwave so its not very clear but I think Ratchet could have something to do with it or an engineering Autobot perhaps because it is in face wheel jack and ratchet who create the dinobots on earth. Its exciting stuff!!


 This is the moment everybody has been waiting for, it was teased a lot and finally here it is! Optimus Prime riding the might Grimlock who looks magnificent. He's big and it looks as though he is going to play a big part in the battle, it will be spectacular and despite what fan boys say... their looking forward to it! what I love is the actual design of Grimlock, he looks very fluent and the CG for his looks fantastic whether he will have a robot form is unknown but I'm pretty sure he will and that will be something special, I imagine a very violent transformation and some big weapons. Another thing that has got me excited is Optimus's sword, its nothing like his energon swords which will be missed (I loved them) but he has a long sword and that's really cool, its like their adapting to earthly life, first their are the Dinobots then long swords. Its interesting and it teases a lot of close combat which I'm looking forward to. Plus I imagine a charge against the Deceptions with Optimus yelling "one shall stand, one shall fall" whilst Grimlock raws and begins to run (awesome!)


The final shot is amazing, it shows off Grimlocks size and power as he crushes a wall with ease. His structure is amazing and I think they did a really good job, I specifically like the horns on his head. I'm not sure if its clear but Optimus has got a new shield, I really liked the use of a shield in DOTM but felt it was under used which is why I liked Sentinel Prime so much, he had a double bladed sword and a huge shield which led to some amazing action sequences especially when he flips Sideswipe over it. This film is teasing a lot of great action scenes with so new great character designs, I am looking forward to this and I'll admit it, I was nervous at first and I worry about the films reception, I don't think they deserve the reception they do. Do you really want transformers looking like blocks or would you prefer unique realistic designs that are incredibly accurate with the vehicle mode?
I applaud Michael Bay for making the Tranformers more popular and for reinventing the franchise, It was a ballsy move and I think he expected the hate, I personally wouldn't cope with it. What I found was harsh and just down right out of order, Yes the trilogy has its issues, the human cast wasn't the best and they did have a lot of screen time but the film is based on earth what do you expect? I hope they use their time wisely this time to introduce a new exciting trilogy but there is a reason all 3 films are among the highest grossing film, so despite what you say you are going to pull out some money and buy a ticket so try and enjoy it don't be a fool and hate it when it hasn't been released. Obviously I respect people's opinion but don't try and put other people off it and abuse everyone for liking the films (this does happen, and its happened to me), you didn't enjoy it... do you want a hug or something? let me enjoy the film don't spoil it by listing everything you hated, if your really not looking forward to it- don't buy a ticket!
Anyway that's enough ranting for today, I feel that I don't rant enough but I don't want to come across like a moaning person so I focus on the positives mostly but I will point out things I didn't enjoy but by no means will I try and persuade you out of seeing a certain film, its not right!

Transformers Age of Extinction is due out this year in July, I'm very excited as you can tell so thank you for reading today's post I hope you enjoyed the trailer
Thanks for reading
Until next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment