Sunday 29 June 2014

How to train your dragon 2

Hello! last night I saw the preview screening of How to train your dragon 2 and I'm going to talk about it, this will be my last post until the big release of Transformers Age of Extinction... I need to mentally prepare myself. So I hope you enjoy!


So this sequel takes place 5 years after the events from the first and Berk have adjusted to a new life with dragons whilst Hiccup and Toothless journey forward discovering new lands and news species of Dragons. They soon stumble across Dragon hunters who are capturing Dragons and selling them to a mysterious character called Drago Bludvist who is building a giant army of Dragons, how is this possible you ask? well he has a secret weapon called the Bewilderbeast who is capable of controlling all dragons (even toothless) and he is considered the king of all dragons. A mass war breaks out to protect Berk and their dragons, Hiccup teams up with his long lost mother to fight Drago's force of enslaved dragons.

What was great about this film was that we got loads of new and very well designed dragons, when I say loads I mean loads! this film contained hundreds of dragons some of the same species but all of them were unique whether it be colour or certain features and to me that was key in this film, whats the fun in having dragons that look the same which is where I think the first film tripped up on. We did get a good look at some dragons but not many and then the sequel comes along and wow! some of them are epic and the scale is beyond real, they really took it to a new level and expanded the Dragon world. My favourite is of course the night fury but out of the new comers I really liked Stormcutter (the one with 4 wings) and Stoicks Rumblehorn. The added dragons probably made the film more enjoyable because... its about dragons so you need dragons but they were visually brilliant, colourful, big and small and just very well animated, a lot of work went into the more prominent dragons such as Toothless and the Bewilderbeast.

As for the human characters, each of them were visually rendered to make them look 5 years older and they all looked great and still recognisable, I was very impressed with the design of Hiccup who looks a lot more heroic in this compared to his teenage years however he still keeps his wacky personality which is good but as a character his role is a lot more dominating and controlling, he's not that scared clumsy kid any more and although I miss that clumsy attitude his role in this is so much stronger.
The other characters like Astrid and Gobber are also great but there were some real big improvements and bigger roles offered to the secondary characters such as Snotlout and Fishlegs who were very funny in this along with Kristen Wiigs character Ruffnut who offered a lot of comic relief to the film and was a character that stood out a lot more for me compared to Astrid who's role I thought was very minimal for some reason.

We did get some new characters which is always good, the villain was very cool and quite freaky to be honest, what was different about Drago was that he was insane he didn't quite have a motif as such but it was more like "I want a big army of dragons because I can" like most villains he was simply after power but I felt him and Hiccup should have had a fight instead of a conversation, I think that would have showed off Drago's insanity and power. We also got Eret who captured dragons and was a love interest for Ruffnut and as creepy as it is... its very very funny, I felt that Eret was a predictable character then again this is a kids film but he played a nice role in the film and kinda turned the tables when all seemed lost. Then we also get Hiccups mother but I'm not actually going to say anything about that.

The film was brilliant, it has some very funny moments with the occasional bit of action that is really intense and very gripping. Its sad, funny, exciting and more thrilling than the first one however I felt it lost a lot of what was so powerful in the first one, How to train your dragon focused on this forbidden friendship that was really sweet and innocent but they couldn't repeat that however it was still a great sequel with a lot of highlights, it is a must see! lets hope they can pull it off a 3rd time. How to train your dragon will be returning soon.
I give it a reasonable 7/10 whilst the action and characters were a lot better along with the visuals I felt the story was a bit weaker and the connection between certain characters diminished compared to the first but it was a very strong sequel that expanded the dragon universe and I hope it continues to do so.

Anyway thats it from me today until the release of Transformers 4, I've noticed the Transformer posts have become a bit popular so I'm hoping you will love the next post, I am so excited
Thanks for reading!
Until next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment